Monday 3 September 2012

Day 4 Still on the slant

Only 84 miles made good noon-to-noon as the strong South wind just wont let go. A 979 low has moved north to the west of the UK and is hammering northern Scotland. Storm Force 11 between Iceland and Scotland. It is a big area of low that extends all the way south to 50 N. At noon I was at 52 50 N and 11 32 W. All day I've been just jogging along under very little sail heading west (the best I can make in the SSW wind) waiting for the low to move a bit to the NE and for a front to pass indicating the start of the back side of the low and the beginning of a wind shift to the west. Now, 17:00, I think it has started. The barometer has flattened out. So I just tacked to head south. Only making 160. The required course to Terceira is 230, but I think things are about to improve. Immediately to the south (47 N - 49N ) is a high and if I can get to it there should be lighter winds and south of it will be east winds. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings. By now I would have expected to be well south of here but, Huey rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment