Friday 31 August 2012

Day 1 Life on the Slant

Noon August 31 56 02N 9 05W 1,263 miles to go.

As forecast, now in a major stream of SW winds between a high (1035) High to the south and a low (985) Low tracking NE to the north. And its not going to let up any time soon. I want to get SW so it is slow progress tacking through 125 degrees against 23 - 25 knot winds and accompanying seas. Three reefs in the main and half the # 2. Taonui doesn't mind too much, but I'm not loving the force of gravity. No worries, it is bound to get better. The weather fax forecast shows the High moving north. Great. I still have about 100 miles of westing to make to be clear off the coast of Ireland. Thank goodness for the big pot of stew that I made before I left.

19:00 latest forecast is for high to stay south and a new low 988 to the NE and gale 8 my area so am changing down to the staysail for the night. When this low goes by should have west winds, maybe even some NW. That would be good

No comments:

Post a Comment